Visual Studio 2010 Database Errors

I have had several error messages related to utilizing SQL Server in Visual Studio 2010. Two of them occur on startup; I did not get screen caps of those, but I recall they have “RadLang” in their name.

When Visual Studio 2010 starts up, it sometimes gives me two error messages. I did not get the opportunity to screencap them before they disappeared forever (I inadvertently selected the “don’t show me these errors again” option on the error dialogs), but they relate to the “RadLangSvc” package.

I could ignore the errors, but they would rear their ugly heads when I tried to access some aspects of SQL Server.

I get another couple of error messages—that I did not initially realize were related—when interacting with SQL Server. These I did capture. When attempting to save a new connection to SQL as part of the the Add Entity Data Model wizard, I would get the following an error complaining that Visual Studio could not find SEExtensions.xml (really Microsoft.VisualStudio.Data.Schema.SEExtensions.xml, but you get my meaning).

Failed to open a connection to the database Error message: 'Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual StudioVSTSDB\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Data.Schema.SEExtensions.xml'. at DataViewSupport(4,3)'' Check the connection and try again.

I would get a similar error dialog if I tried to expand an existing connection in Server Explorer. (My Program Files directory is on F:\ due to the fact that I have a small (30 GB) boot SSD. That fiasco is worthy of its own blog post, actually.)

Could not find a part of the path 'Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual StudioVSTSDB\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Data.Schema.SEExtensions.xml'. at DataViewSupport(4,3)

Amazingly similar, no?

At any rate, I have so far done three separate fixes for it.

The first was to reinstall three Data Access packages from the \WCU\DAC\ directory of the Visual Studio install disk, per Mark Dellacca’s comment on Microsoft Connect. This worked for me. For a while.

Next, I homed in on the fact that the path in the error message looked wrong:

Visual Studio Error Directory

So, I searched through the registry and changed every instance of “10.0VSTSDB” to “10.0\VSTSDB.” This, too, worked; and this, too, stopped working after a while.

Finally, fed up with fixing (and researching) the same problem repeatedly, I decided to just fake it. I used junction from the incredibly useful Sysinternals set of Windows utilities to create a symlink (symbolic link—not to be confused with Shortcuts) from the wrong path to the true location.

junction.exe - Visual Studio

Voilà! Now the problem stays gone.

About pyrolupus

Writer, father, teacher, programmer, performer. And I make some mean pancakes, too.
This entry was posted in .Net and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.